Materials and Methods for Spicy Tomato Granita
- 8 plum tomatoes
- 1/4 c. vodka
- 1/4 c. sherry vinegar
- zest of a lemon
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 T. olive brine
- 1/2 t. Cayenne pepper
- Serve with oysters on the half shell
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cut tomatoes in half and place on a greased sheet pan cut side down. Roast for 1 hour. Let cool completely.
- Using a blender, puree remaining ingredients (except oysters) until very smooth. Strain through a fine mesh sieve and put in a 9 X 13 X 2 in pan.
- Freeze. Every thirty minutes or so break up the granita using a fork until the granita is fully frozen. This can be stored in the freezer for up to two weeks.
- To serve, put a 1/4 t. or however much you prefer onto freshly shucked oysters and slurp them down! If you like extra spice, add some horseradish. If you are serving at a party buffet-style, it helps to chill the bowl and spoon in the freezer so that you have a little bit of a buffer before the melting begins.