I first designed this cocktail on a whim for Christmas Eve. I wanted to make a balanced cocktail that was warming for winter while still being fresh. I had rosemary, oranges and limes so those seemed like a perfect backdrop for a mixture of tequila and mezcal (I didn’t want too much smoke to overpower the delicacy of orange and rosemary). Lastly, I was in the mood for something that felt decadent. The silky and frothy texture of egg white was enough to add body and just a little more festivity to the drink, plus then we get to call it a flip! Garnished with an orange peel, it was the perfect cocktail for a cold winter’s night.
A couple nights ago, Molly and I decided to make the drink for our post-work girls night watching White Collar. I didn’t have rosemary so we left it out but added a dash of mole bitters to the top.Again, the drink was delicious, dangerously so! I hope you find it as enjoyable as we did.
Side note about mezcal: Not all mezcals are created equal! Some are infinitely more smokey than others. Use your own judgement about the smoke balance. For example, I have also used the Trader Joe’s Mezcal. The smoke is light enough that cutting it with tequila would mean there is no smoke flavor in the final drink so use 4 oz in that case and no tequila. Others are so smokey that Mary Gibson would describe them as water from the inside of a cedar chest that caught fire (perhaps the same water that you used to put out the fire that has now been infused with cedar and smoke). In that case, go down to a 1:3 ratio of mezcal to tequila if you are dealing with one of those.
Smokey Rosemary Citrus Flip Materials and Methods
Materials for 2 cocktails
- 1 T. sugar
- 1 rosemary sprig (optional)
- 1 oz. lime juice, fresh squeezed
- 2 1/4 oz. orange juice, fresh squeezed
- 2 oz. gold tequila (I used Gran Centenario Anejo)
- 2 oz. mezcal (I used Del Maguey)
- 1 egg white
- Lots of ice
- Xocolatl mole bitters (optional; made by Bittermens)
- Orange peel or rosemary sprig for garnish
- If using rosemary, muddle rosemary and sugar in the bottom of a shaker. Then, add remaining ingredients except for the bitters, if using. If not using rosemary just add all ingredients to the shaker except for the bitters.
- Wrap a towel around your shaker and shake hard for one minute…the whole minute. Your arms will be tired by the end but keep it up; this is the only way to make good foam from your egg whites!
- Strain into two martini glasses and add the dash of bitters to the top if using. Garnish with orange peel, rosemary or what ever you feel like garnishing with. Enjoy!